Happy Bastille Day!
We have always envied the French, especially their love of good food and wine! The French diet is one full of flavour and high in satisfaction, something that is highly desirable.
Here is 5 unique and sensible ways that you can adopt la manière Française (the French way) to keep you fighting fit:
- Variety, Variety, Variety1 – Aim to eat a variety of foods at each meal, and during each day and week. Varieties of proteins, carbohydrates and fats, where high quality, minimally processed varieties are your best choices.
- Quality Counts2 – Ensure your main meals consist of good quality foods. Be selective about where you eat and where you buy your food, and enjoy quality breads, meats, cheeses, yogurts, fresh fruits and vegetables, wine, and champagne.
- Pay Attention to Portions3 – Monitor your portion sizes, and try not to overeat any single item during any one meal. The guys at Precision Nutrition have done a wonderful job at explaining portion sizes using your hands.
- Slow Down4 – Enjoy your meal, chew mindfully and take your time eating. Thus, allowing your body to let you know when you’ve had enough.
- Joie De Vivre5 – That’s French for having a joy of life. Enjoy what you eat. Take your time with your meals, eat only while sitting down, and focus on enjoying what you are eating. Lose any feelings of guilt about good food and good wine.
So on this Bastille Day, have some fun with your food. Pair some of the iconic French menu items – croissants and baguettes, escargot or coq au vin, soupe à l’oignon, or classic French crêpes and Champagne – and have yourself a soiree!
Rhys Pritchard, Training Director and Head Performance Coach
1, 4, 5 – Elaine Magee, MPH, RD. Web MD, 10 Ways to Make the French Diet Work for You, How to fit French diet strategies into an American lifestyle.
2 – Brian St. Pierre, MS, RD, CSCS. Precision Nutrition, The best calorie control guide.
3 – Brian St. Pierre, MS, RD, CSCS. Precision Nutrition, All About Eating Slowly.